Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tabata...it will make your a$% hurt for days!!!

Good morning!! I have been asked a few times, about what different workouts I do.  One of my favs, for truly amazing results, is tabata.  I actually stumbled upon tabata, when I saw one of the former Biggest Loser contestants post about it.  I thought hmm...4 minutes, I can do that!  Here is a bit of background on tabata:

There are many different forms of workouts out there and each workout will give you a different result. Some increase muscle mass, some increase strength, others help you lose weight and so forth.
Cardiovascular (cardio for short) exercises are a popular brand of exercise designed to improve endurance and stimulate fat loss. Cardio exercises can be anything from long distance running, skipping, biking or even power walking. All of these usually fall under the category of moderate intensity training because they tend to last anywhere from a half hour to more than an hour going at the same pace.
“Tabata” is the name of a particular type of workout program that provides similar health benefits to that of cardio workouts, but Tabata has a bit more spice. Instead of hours upon hours or exercise, Tabata can be completed in 4 minutes.

If you do the standard 4 minute tabata, it goes like this: 8 intervals of 20 second high intensity workout followed by 10 seconds of rest.  I just don't feel like I have worked out, if I just do 4 minutes.  So I was thrilled when I found the 19 minute workout.

I am not gonna lie, it will be the LONGEST 20 seconds of your life, when doing the actual move.  It will also be the shortest 10 seconds you have ever encountered...lol!  But the results speak for themselves! You will also continue to burn up to 250 extra calories, in the next 24 hours, after completing the workout.  Hello, how can you pass that up!!!!!!  FREE FAT BURN!!

The workout I do is Jill Coleman's from Xfinity On Demand.  It is 19 minutes.  I know a lot of people don't have access to this, so I thought I would give you the detailed workout that I do.
You start with about a 2 minute warm up, consisting of jumping jacks, push ups, side lunges and other things, to loosen up the muscles.  Then the workout begins.  Remember when dong this workout, you MUST go balls to the wall!  If you can carry on a conversation, you are not doing it properly.  This is a high intensity workout.  You MUST give every 20 seconds your all!  You will be one hot sweaty mess when you are done.  And be prepared to feel like you just might be dying, the first few times you try it! :o)

Do each move for 20 seconds and then rest for 10 seconds, repeat four times.  After you do said move four times, you move on to the next and so on...
 
High knees
Mountain Climbers
Squat jumps
Alternating lunge jumps
Speed bag
Burpees (oh yes, the spawn of the devil ,burpees, are in this workout) :)
Skaters
 
After you are finished, give yourself about a 1 1/2- 2 minute cool down. 

I did this workout on Saturday, after not doing it for about a week.  OMG I am still so sore!!  If you want a workout you are going to feel in your bum and legs...this is it!  Talk about having a hard time getting on and off the potty!  YIKES!  SO SORE!!  But it is that good kind of sore.  This workout is so good for those of us that never have time to workout.  I think we can all come up with 20 free minutes, a few times a week.  I really think that once you try this a few times, you will see what I mean, about the effectiveness! 

Hope you are all having a good Tuesday!  It is FINALLY nice here!  I just might go for a run at lunch.  MIGHT, I said, MIGHT!!! :o)  If not, tabata and 30-day shred on are tap, for the day!

xo,
Lori

6 comments:

  1. I just started doing Tabata in a plan I got from efitmama...not even gonna lie...I haaaattttteeee the tabata days. Which is proof that I need to keep doing it. :) Happy Tuesday, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try this out. Thanks Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this, but you can bet your booty that I'm going to try it tomorrow! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this, but you can bet your booty that I'm going to try it tomorrow! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did this On Demand after you posted about it several weeks ago. LOVE IT! Tonight I might try your kickboxing On Demand video. I keep forgetting about that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl you gotta post a video on these...PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete