Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Helping "M"

If you follow me on IG, you have heard about the sweet soul that reached out to me, via email, after reading my story in the Huffington Post.  I want to share with you the full emails, I received:


"Hello Lori I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I've been overweight since I was a child. I have tried many diets and weight loss programs with very little success on them. I am curently over 600 and unsure what to do".

"Hello Lori  It helps to talk to someone who can understand.  I've always felt that if you take the time to cook it that all of it should be eaten.  I have never been able to tolerate people throwing away food.  I was the fattest kid in school so I was teased. I have gotten uesd to it over the years.  When I leave the house.  People stare/laugh and make jokes.  Plus most places are'nt able to accommodate someone my size.  I do get frustrated about that.  That is a big issue.  It's embarrassing to say but I have broken furniture because of my weight.  I also have 2 older sisters who have never had a weight problem.  I don't get a feeling of being full.  After I eat a certain amount I am satisfied.  When I have pizza I will eat a extra large pepperoni pizza with a dozen bread sticks/a dozen cinnamon sticks and hot wings and still be able to eat more.  I want to make changes slowly.  I have to eat more salads/less fried food and sweets. Do you think it makes a difference.  If I eat low fat ice cream or the fat free cakes? I am also eating more fruit. I mainly eat beef and pork.  Although I will try to eat more grilled fish and chicken. I use gobs and gobs of butter on everything.  I can try not to use so much.  I'm not able to walk 10 minutes at one time.  I have to stop and rest. I'm trying to go a little bit longer each time. This week I will get the dvd's and weights.  So I can exercise in bed.  I can get a wheelchair.  Do you thing that something that I should do?  Can you continue to give me suggestions.  That would help me a lot".

I read both of these emails, and cried.  It hit home with me.  I seriously had to go lock myself in the bathroom after reading the second one.  I didn't want my babies to see me upset.  At that very moment, I wished so much I could jump through my phone and give this person a hug and tell them, "It WILL be OK".  I showed my husband and even he, got choked up.  I might not have been 600 pounds, but I CAN relate to so much that he is going through. Yes, this is from a gentleman.  I think so many of us grew up in homes, where you had to eat what was on your plate.  I know I did.  My parents were HARD workers, but we never had a lot of money.  At times, we lived paycheck to paycheck.  So wasting was not an option.  Plus eating super healthy, just wasn't the "thing to do" back then.  If we ate out, it was a treat!  And it really only happened on vacation.  I can also relate to him eating an entire pizza.  I know I did that many times.  I was a comfort eater.  I ate because it made me feel good, when I was sad.  It's "funny" how people think that if you call someone fat, that is going to make them lose weight.  PU-LEASE!  That is so not how it works.  When I got called fat, yes, I wanted to lose weight and show those a-holes.  But....that isn't what happened.  I would go eat.  And eat a lot....  I am by no means a weight loss expert.  But I have been there.  I think it is easier for "M" as I will refer to him, to relate to me, over someone he sees on tv, that has trainers and chef's helping them on their journey.  I will continue to email with "M" and do all I can, to help him. 

Growing up I used to say, "why me, God"?  "Why did you make me fat"?  "Why can't these people see that I am a good person"?  'Why do they think I am ugly and disgusting, just because I am big"? "Shouldn't people be nice because I am nice"? Yep, I had many conversations like this. I sat there and felt sorry for myself.  When all my friends had boyfriends and I was the one with the "pretty face", I thought it was UNFAIR.  Fast forward 20+ years and I get emails from readers like this, or people that found me on IG, and I get my questions answered.  I went through what I did, to help others, going through the same thing.  I try very hard to always comment back to those, that take the time, to comment on my IG pics.  If I miss one of your comments, it was not intentional.  If you email me, I will respond.  If I didn't, please know that I might not have gotten it.  I am not on IG or in the blog world, for fame.  No.....just NO!  My IRL friends know I do not handle attention very well.  Hello, I am 41 years old and still get anxiety walking into a restaurant by myself. (If you are reading this, Abbie, you are shaking your head yes). :) I am out there sharing my life, in hopes that someone, will take something from it, that will help them.  SO with this, might come some people that find me beyond annoying.  People who will simply follow me, to see what annoying picture or blog entry, I post next.  I know this.  I get it.  It is par for the course.  BUT...it's OK, it's worth it. WHY????? Because I get to try and help people like "M". 

Growing up I had an amazing support system, that never gave up on me.   I am going to be that, for "M".  Add cheerleader to my resume, because I am going to be cheering him on, from here on out!

                                                                  XO,
                                                                  Lori

12 comments:

  1. You are amazing! Love You, Friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so inspiring and beyond sweet to help these people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's what God has called on you to do my friend and I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone needs someone to help them see the light. You are his light. So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's just you living your life with purpose. Keep going. It's a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a beautiful person inside and out. This person is lucky to have you cheering him on :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy reading your blog and also find you very inspiring. Thank you for sharing your life and experiences with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it's already been said but you really are beautiful inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOU.ARE.AMAZING! An incredible inspiration and an amazing reminder that IT CAN BE DONE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so wonderful!!! Love you girl.. Tell "M" he has quite of few cheerleaders rooting for him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At those times when you can`t believe in yourself, just walk forward. Don`t think, just go numb and keep walking till it gets better!

    ReplyDelete